"Trass3r" <u...@known.com> wrote in message news:op.v4bmzpkb3ncmek@enigma...

> The only drawback I experienced is Windoze-specific. There you have
> TortoiseHg which makes work really nice while TortoiseGit lacks behind and
> msysgit is just a pain.

I've been using Tortoise* for 90% of my DVCS dealings and I've come to find
that I like TortoiseGit much better than TortoiseHg (FWIW). I think what
really tips the scale for me is the "Git Sync..." part (The TortoiseHg
equivalent isn't nearly as nice, IMO). And the ability to do a push right
after committing with just one click is really nice, too. Conflict
resolution with TortoiseHg is a royal PITA. Plus, I haven't figured out how
to use a client cert with Hg/TortoiseHg in order to not have to type my
password every single time I push.

I really want a unified Tortoise though (And cross-platform, too, so I won't
have to give it up when I switch to Linux). It was all fine when SVN was all
I was using, but now that I have some stuff in Git, some stuff Hg, some
older stuff that's still SVN ATM, etc, having all that Tortoise crap every
time I open the right-click menu is a pain, especially since I can never
remember immediately (ie, without thinking about it) which project is using
which.

I've come to like BitBucket *far* better than GitHub though, so I was
thrilled when I found out that BitBucket added Git support. Seriously, if
one of the main points of Git is speed, then why the hell is GitHub so
insanely slow? ('Course, I have other issues with GitHub, too.) Not that
BitBucket is exactly zippy either, but it's fast compared to GitHub. Now
Launchpad - that's one I *really* wish had a half-way decent interface
because it's the only one that has proper speed. Plus it's also the only one
that doesn't try to cram any of that Ajaxy bullshit down everyone's throat
(Another thing GitHub is even worse with than BitBucket. Really, every time
GitHub makes an update, it breaks more and more shit).

'Course that all leads to another thing: Why can't all this collaboration
stuff just be part of the DVCS itself (or at least a standard plugin)?
That's what really bugs me. Crappy web interfaces aside,
GitHub/BitBucket/Launchpad functionality is fantastic...BUT, just because
they've all gone and done it *outside* of the actual DVCSes, *none* of their
functionality actually works across repository hosts (and making that happen
on a large, properly generalized, scale would be impractical). It also makes
it that much harder for anyone to create alternate interfaces - you'd have
to create a whole new backend for every damn host, not just one for each
DVCS. And all of that creates a situation which forces any alternative hosts
(for example, self-hosted ones) to be completely SOL right out of the gate
(And you can't tell me GitHub, being a commercial entity, doesn't *want*
things to be this way). The whole current approach just doesn't make any
damn sense at all. But that's the moronic "cloud" culture for ya.