On 11/23/2011 9:26 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 11/19/2011 7:02 PM, dsimcha wrote:
* Streams. (Another item where the bottleneck is mostly at the design
level and
people not really knowing what they want.)

I'm not sure what the purpose of streams would be, now that we have ranges.

Right. As I mentioned in a previous post buried deep in this thread, I think streams should just be a flavor of ranges that have most or all of the following characteristics:

1.  Live in std.stream.

2.  Oriented toward I/O.

3. Heavy use of higher order ranges/stacking for things like compression/decompression and encryption/decryption.

4. Mostly focused on input ranges as opposed to random access/forward/bidirectional, since this is the best model for data from a network or stdin.