Manu wrote:
On 26 November 2011 23:39, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com
<mailto:newshou...@digitalmars.com>> wrote:

        Ranges are not good for reading N bytes from a file
        descriptor.

    Why not? Isn't that exactly what a range is supposed to be good for?

It sounds like a bad idea to me... I can imagine ending up with a whole
pile of allocations of short ranges, and then people doing bunches of
range concatenations to re-assemble the buffer. That's a lot of
pointless allocation and memcopying. D's apis should discourage
inefficient usage like that.

I think ranges are here to avoid memcopying and pointless allocations.