On Friday, December 02, 2011 22:44:41 Timon Gehr wrote:
On 12/02/2011 10:38 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
Am 02.12.2011, 21:50 Uhr, schrieb Timon Gehr<timon.g...@gmx.ch>:
On 12/02/2011 09:44 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
Except that _Eclipse_ does not do anything to achieve this. It just
invokes ant, which invokes javac, which is presumably written in C
and
C++.

Seems like I was wrong about this.

I can do that in a console without waiting 5 minutes until the IDE
has finished starting.

But this is still true.

No you are all wrong :p, it takes half a minute for Eclipse to start up.
Yes, this is still more than a native executable would need. Still I use
it for Java, D, JavaScript and PHP. It's awesome! I also sneak in
Eclipse project files into github repositories to make the awesomeness
available to others:
https://github.com/aichallenge/aichallenge/tree/epsilon/eclipse_projects

It feels like 5 minutes if you are accustomed to open the text editor
and start working.

But I am sure there is something to IDE's, as many programmers seem to
like them.

They can do wonders with code completion and making it easy to hop to
declarations and the like. They also are often able to point out errors in
your code as you're typing it, which can be quite helpful. I frequently miss
many of the features that IDEs like eclipse have when I code (I do all of my
coding in vim these days, regardless of the language). But I _really_ value
the power that vim provides in terms of text editing, and I haven't found an
IDE yet which I can get to emulate vim well enough to be acceptable in that
regard, so I don't use them. I'd definitely like to though.

- Jonathan M Davis

I'm more an emacs guy, and I jump to declarations by (maybe C-x C-f filename ENTER) M-s \w+ identifier ENTER (and a few C-s for the occasional false positives), and I can use similar techniques to not only reach a specific declaration, but any specific position in the whole code. I don't think that it is any slower than always lifting your hands from the keyboard in order to be able to use the mouse and slow IDE functionality.