On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:00:57 -0000, Timon Gehr <timon.g...@gmx.ch> wrote:
On Friday, December 09, 2011 10:19:18 Don wrote:
Are there any cases where you're using comma outside of for loops?
I wonder how much would break if were made illegal everywhere else.

I'm sure that it would break code, but most people consider it bad practice to
use the comma operator for much outside of for loops.

'most people'?

Yes, I would guess that you're in the minority here.

Occasionally, it's
useful to use one in an expression, but on the whole, it's just confusing and
error-prone.

It is confusing to people who don't know the language. It is a simple construct. In my experience, it is certainly not error prone. If you are aware that such an operator exists.

It's error prone in cases where you use it without realising, as in the example I posted.

The resulting code may not be as compact, but it
wouldn't be hard to write.

It would be a PITA in some cases.

Really? Give us an example where not having comma makes things significantly difficult.

And unless you're dealing with a programmer who
uses it uncommonly often, not much code is going to break.

I _am_ such a programmer.

So it seems :) I don't want to make your life harder but I think this change would make life easier for a large number of people, a small amount of the time. The equation is unbalanced in favour of it's removal, IMO.