On 1/8/2012 4:26 PM, dsimcha wrote:
On 1/8/2012 6:28 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
2. "While you can avoid the garbage collector, that basically means you
can't use most of the standard library."
Looks pretty darn correct to me -- from the fixed-size array literal
issue (literals are on the GC heap), to all the string operations (very
little is usable), to associative arrays (heck, they're even part of the
language, but you can't use them without a GC), etc...

As someone who does performance-critical scientific work in D, this comment is absolutely **wrong** because you only need to avoid the GC in the most performance-critical/realtime parts of your code

Who said anything about performance?
And who's the "you" in this statement? What platform are you on?

I guess if you make the assumption that everyone is doing user-mode programming for Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD, then yes, you're 100% correct.

The trouble is, making GUIs and taking FFTs in user-mode isn't what people mean by "systems programming"...