On 2/12/2012 11:45 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
Anyway, I haven't yet started delving into the language documentation or any
tutorials, just used gut-feeling, so I'd appreciate discussion of how to make
this my first D console program less non-idiomatic <g>:

<code>
import std.stdio;
import std.ascii;
import std.string; // chop

//import core.sys.windows.unicode_based_api; <-- DOES NOT WORK.

There is no D import with the name unicode_based_api. Where does that name come from?

For a console app that just reads and writes files, there shouldn't be a need to access the Windows API at all. The D runtime library does that for you.