On 2/13/2012 6:15 AM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
Are there group charters?

Not much beyond the descriptions here:

  http://digitalmars.com/NewsGroup.html

We're pretty informal.

As a newbie one tries things and asks about things that a person more accustomed
to The Usual Ways(TM) just discounts immediately without further reflection --
missing out on the opportunities...

That's true, we often do not see things the way a new user would.

OK. So, since I don't know anything about how to "submit additions back
upstream", I just enclose it here.

The most effective way to contribute code is to fork/pull on github for the following project:

  https://github.com/D-Programming-Language

Bug reports go here:

  http://d.puremagic.com/issues/

The trouble with newsgroup postings of code is as time goes by, the posting scrolls off the radar.