On Friday, 17 February 2012 at 16:43:54 UTC, F i L wrote:

I just don't see an argument for why we *shouldn't* make mathematical operations in code match those we where taught as children as close as possible.

There is a profound difference in that math is mostly about making a series of static statements, universal or temporary facts of relationships between things, while programming is all about describing operations to be performed, even if hidden by functional or object costume.

Math may use operators and functions, and programming sometimes assertions of relations, which makes reality not so clean cut simple, but this is the essential difference.

It does not serve any purpose to insist on closely similar notations.