On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 13:33:17 UTC, Kevin Cox wrote:
After learning and using D for a little while I have discovered some (in my opinion) problems with the slices and associative array built-ins (for now I will just say slice). The main issue I have is that there is no way to pass around something that looks like and acts like a slice. This is because there is no class or interface to which slices adhere. I think this is a very simple concept and it could be easily remedied by creating an Array interface which slices implement. This way you could create
things like lazy and asynchronously filled arrays.
[...]
In, conclusion. (Tl:Dr) slices and AAs do not allow polymorphism and
therefore are decreasing the power and flexibility of D.

I hope to hear your opinions,
Kevin.

D is not purely object oriented and must provide primitives the meet or exceed C.

The style for D code also tends to templates and meta programming. Ranges[1] fit nicely to this and the idea of slicing.

1. http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html

hmm bed time, no time for long explanations.