I personally find it much easier to remember and use longer, more sentance-like method names. However, Jonathan and others obviously feel more comfortable writing with a high level of abbreviation, which they justify rather well. Still, if D's goal is to gain popularity, I think it should take notices of other rising languages like C#.

The problem with making any change to Phobos is backwards compatibility. So, what if there was a way to satisfy both parties and keep backwards compatibility? Is there any compelling reason why simply wrapping Phobos into a different format would be such bad thing? Meaning:

    // system.io

    private import std.stdio;

    alias write   Write;
    alias writeln WriteLine;
    // etc...

Besides keeping things in-sync and error messages referring to the original function names (which could be amended), I don't see why such a library couldn't be written as a way to make the language easier to swallow to potential D users coming from Java/C#. Microsoft used similar tactics with J#/F# to help the Java/Python folks adapt their code to .NET.