On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 16:22:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

OK, clearly I wasn't understanding what the OP was talking about. It *seemed* to imply that Linux had stop-the-world problems with mouse
movement, but this isn't the case.

A hardware interrupt is a hardware interrupt. Whatever OS you're using, it's got to stop to handle this somehow. I don't see how else you can do this. When the hardware needs to signal the OS about something, it's
gotta do it somehow. And hardware often requires top-priority
stop-the-world handling, because it may not be able to wait a few milliseconds before it's handled. It's not like software that generally
can afford to wait for a period of time.

As for Win95 being unable to keep up with mouse movement... well, to be honest I hated Win95 so much that 90% of the time I was in the DOS prompt anyway, so I didn't even notice this. If it were truly a problem, it's probably a sign of poor hardware interrupt handling (interrupt handler is taking too long to process events). But I haven't seen this
myself either.

Design of input handling, the theoretical part is irrelevant. I was solely talking about how they do it in practice. OSs are simply unresponsive and in linux it is more severe. If i am having this issue in practice it doesn't matter if it was the GC lock or an another failure to handle input.