On 06-04-2012 08:47, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/5/2012 5:00 AM, Manu wrote:
 > C# and Java both have attributes, following these established design
patterns, I
 > don't think there should be any mystery over how they should be
implemented.

I was thinking of something along the lines of what has been proposed
here earlier:

@attr(identifier = expression)

as a storage class, like:

@attr(foo = bar + 1) int x;

and then:

__traits(hasAttribute, x, foo)

would return true, and:

__traits(getAttribute, x, foo)

would return the expression (bar+1). The expression would be
compile-time only, evaluated at the point of declaration.

The implementation is simple enough, just attach to each symbol an array
of (identifier,expression) pairs.

You could also omit the expression, and just have:

@attr(bar) int y;

I think this is mostly reasonable. I assume that it would be possible to use the comma operator to attach multiple values to it? I.e.:

@attr(foo = bar, baz) int x;

My only other concern is what Kapps pointed out about larger projects and overlapping attribute names.

--
- Alex