Le 05/04/2012 23:43, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:00:56 -0400, Jonathan M Davis
<jmdavisp...@gmx.com> wrote:

On Thursday, April 05, 2012 15:30:17 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

I don't see how. Just move the code into another module and publicly
import that module from std/algorithm.d. Problem pretty much solved.

The issue is code organization. If you want to split up std.algorithm
(or
std.datetime or whatever) into multiple modules, you have to create a
new
package with a completely different name with no connection to the
original
save for the fact that the original publicly imports it.

My view is that people will not import the smaller modules, they will
only ever import std.algorithm.

I think we should be looking for a solution that not only allows
replacing module -> package transparently, but also allows people to
import the newly introduced fine-grained modules.

Andrei

Why not limit name collision to name which make sense ?

For instance, import std.a.b.c is a module. if it refers also to a function, this import doesn't make any sense, so, even if we have a name collision, this isn't a big deal (except maybe for reflection ?).

Same goes for std.a.b.c(); which is a function call, and obviously not the module. Here what I propose to resolve names :

1/ import does always find the .d corresponding file. No exception.
2/ Module a.b.c is in package a, a.b and a.b.c . Any package declaration in a.b.c match package a.b (one level is removed). 3/ When a name is used in the code and have to be resolved, the following process occurs :
 - The compiler find all stuff that have this name.
- The compiler discard all stuffs that have this name and doesn't make sense. - If all remaining items are overload of the same item, then standard best match rule apply. - If all remaining items aren't in the same module, or overload or different items, an error occurs. This is never a problem in the case of big modules splitted in submodules.

Some examples :

a.d

public import a.b;  // import a/b.d

class b {
    static void foo() {}
}

****************

a/b.d

public import a.b.c;  // import a/b/c.d

void foo(int i) {}

****************

a/b/c.d

void foo() {}

main.d

import a;

foo();  // foo from a/b/c.d
foo(2);  // foo from a/b.d
a.foo();  // foo from a/b/c.d
a.b.foo();  // Error, match both a/b.d and a/b/c.d
a.b.foo(2);  // foo from a/b.d
a.b.c.foo();  // foo from a/b/c.d