On 2012-04-09 21:20, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

I've got my information directly from Microsoft Metro guys. Not totally
sure how good their knowledge actually is, but for _Metro_ apps they
said that because of sandboxing it is only allowed to access functions
of the WinRT - the C++ runtime is an exception but I would guess that
this does not apply for foreign runtimes. You also have to recompile
C/C++ libraries with the new runtime. Also, the sandboxing model seemed
to be a part of WinRT - so DMD executables would not be sandboxed at all.

The desktop world will of course be working exactly like it used to do
and the Win32 API will probably live on for at least a few OS generations.

D is statically linked to the standard library and runtime.

--
/Jacob Carlborg