On 11.04.2012 1:04, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 4/10/12 3:02 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
Hummm... the really core issue is whether the language supports tail
call optimization. Functional programming languages demand it, C, C++,
Java, Go, Python definitely don't have it, D...

D has only the tail recursion, not the tail call. The latter should be
easy to implement.

Andrei

One thing I think we need to do with D is actually guarantee tail calls
in the situations where it makes sense. A mistake many other languages
made is saying that "this may or may not be a tail call depending on the
implementation". This is not enough of a guarantee to write portable
programs...

+1 Let me correct your last statement:
"it may overflow stack or not depending on the implementation"

--
Dmitry Olshansky