On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 at 17:19:00 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
I am a fan of declarative expression, I prefer functional approaches over explicitly imperative ones. For the moment though using single
assignment in imperative languages with all the lambda/closure
technology and using functional programming thinking is the best
compromise.

Imperative languages only emulate functional style to some extent. They remain inherently imperative and impure. And for declarative syntax to really fly you need an FP language, purity and immutability for sure.