On 04/28/2012 09:22 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
On 28.04.2012 22:47, Walter Bright wrote:
Andrei and I had a fun discussion last night about this question. The
idea was which features in D are redundant and/or do not add significant
value?

A couple already agreed upon ones are typedef and the cfloat, cdouble
and creal types.

What's your list?

1. Drop is(...) feature entirely. Extend __traits where needed and move
compile-time reflection to "magic" meta namespace completely.

2. "enum as manifest constant". Use static or immutable/global.

static is not accessible at compile time, would you want to change that?
immutable is not an option because it infects the type.

Furthermore, I like 'enum' because it is concise.

What is the issue with enum?

Compiler should be smart enough

Smart compiler fallacy. It really cannot be that smart in this case.

to avoid putting immutable integers/doubles into
object file as variables.

Their address might be taken by code that is unavailable! Furthermore, many of my enums are strings or arrays.

8. Something else. D is huge :)

I actually think D is not too large.