On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 21:12:39 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:59:48 UTC, q66 wrote:

This kind of attitude "we need big fat bullshit like Java and heavy use of OO and idioms and EH and all that other crap" is broken and false. And you have no way to prove that Python for example wouldn't scale for large projects; its main fault is that the default implementation is rather slow, but it's not pretty much missing anything required for a large project.

Python has two big drawbacks for large projects:
- it's too slow
- it's a dynamically-typed language

The fact that it's flexible is because it uses duck typing, and AFAIK you can't do duck typing in a statically typed language. So it's cool for small programs, but it can't handle large ones because it's not statically typed. And this opinion doesn't come just out of thin air, I speak from my own professional experience.

Go is a static duck typed language (when using interfaces anyway) AFAIK.

http://golang.org/doc/go_faq.html#implements_interface
http://research.swtch.com/interfaces

/Jonas