On Friday, 4 May 2012 at 11:49:44 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-05-04 12:09, Manu wrote:

Ah, of course! I didn't spot that >_<
Thanks.

I suppose technically, 'ref' can lead to the same ambiguity. This must be the core of the problem. ref needs to be supported with parentheses?

I'm not sure, since you can't declare a variable as "ref" I think the syntax should work. But the syntax with parentheses should probably work as well, to be consistent with "const".

Const can be used with parentheses because it is also a type qualifier in addition to a storage class (for syntactic purposes). All of const, immutable and shared have this dual syntactic existence.

'ref' has several meanings depending on context, but it is never a type qualifier.

I think conflating the syntax for the two would mostly bring confusion.