Andrei Alexandrescu:

I agree binarySearch is more precise, but I also think it's a minor issue not worth the cost of changing at this point. Improving names of things in the standard library is a quest that could go forever, make everybody happy we're making progress, and achieve no substantial gain.

Names are very important, they are the fist and most important part of an API, they are the first handle for human programmers and their minds. The amount of care Python development group gives to the choice of names is visible and it makes a difference in Python usability. Important names can't be chosen by a single person, because single persons have quirks (they overstate how much common a word or concept is, etc etc). So important names are better chosen by groups, that allow to average out those quirks. I suggest to stick somewhere inside Phobos a name like "binarySearch".

Bye,
bearophile