On Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 19:19:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 5/17/12 11:52 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
On Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 15:26:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I agree binarySearch is more precise, but I also think it's a minor issue not worth the cost of changing at this point. Improving names of things in the standard library is a quest that could go forever, make everybody happy we're making progress, and achieve no substantial gain.

No need to change anything, just add something:

bool binarySearch(Range, Value)(Range range, Value value)
{
return assumeSorted(range).contains(value);
}

(constraints, predicates and the myriad of qualifiers/decorations
omitted for clarity).

I don't see much benefit in this - just lateral walking. As long as the keyphrase "binary search" is present in the documentation, that's all that's needed as far as newcomers discoverability is concerned.

It's not just for newcomers discoverability, it's also for readability. Reading the assumeSorted version, it's not clear that a binary search is done.