Jonathan M Davis:

If they don't bother to learn, then they're going to get bitten, and that's life.

A modern language must try to avoid common programmer mistakes, where possible (like in this case).

As for treating pre or post-increment operators specially in some manner, that doesn't make sense. The problem is far more general than that. If we're going to change anything, it would be to make it so that the language itself defines the order of evaluation of function arguments as being left-to-right.

Probably I have expressed myself badly there, sorry. I'd like to see function calls fixed as Walter has stated. And regarding pre/post de/increment operators, I find them handy, but I have seen _so much_ C/C++ code that abuses them that maybe I'd like them to return void, as in Go.

Bye,
bearophile