On Thursday, 12 July 2012 at 16:49:17 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

Such a system would also permit to drop all D1 stuff that are in current DMD because D1 vs D2 can be chosen at compile time on the same sources.

This is how DMD v2 was developed at the beginning, I bet the version 1 compiler still has the -v1 switch.

I'm with Johnathan though. I don't see much benefit. Yes, the system has great benefit, but we can't support it.

If we create a stable branch we'd need to define what is "big" and decide on a support system, what do we do when the dev branch has another "big" change and need to have a stable-dev... How do we change the "big" changed dev to stable without being "unstable." Eventually these happy people will get the unhappy news they have to fix their code and probably don't have the resources to keep it up for years.

Maybe someone else can take on the task of merging bug fixes into their branch, yes a little bit of rework for them, but will that matter if the fixes merge cleanly?