On Monday, 23 July 2012 at 15:56:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
Am 23.07.2012 14:49, schrieb Stuart:
On Saturday, 21 July 2012 at 22:16:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

C++ is living in the 70's.

Precisely what I have been thinking. It's a loose wrapper around
assembly, nothing more. Certainly not the "high-level language"
it's touted as.

Only due to the lack of modules.

Everything else is a pretty modern language I would say.

Hardly. No RTTI. No GC. No properties. No events. No closures. No extension methods. No interfaces. No writable references.

I can live without a GC; and interfaces can be simulated using pure virtual base classes; but all the others are standard in pretty much any modern language and impossible to reproduce in C++.

Incidentally, it'd be really handy to have anonymous tuples in D. Not many languages let you do that. For example:

   tuple!(int, float) fn() { ... }

   int a;
   float b;
   (a, b) = fn();

   auto (c, d) = fn();

Saves us having to create a struct for every goddamn little function; or using tuples directly, which means we have to refer to variables like .value1 and .value2 instead of something meaningful.