On Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 07:58:59 UTC, Stuart wrote:
On Saturday, 28 July 2012 at 07:45:20 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 28-07-2012 09:36, Stuart wrote:
On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 21:59:33 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

- Scheme
- Haskell
- OCaml
- F#
- Erlang
- Clojure
- Some C and C++ compilers (gcc, Intel, MSVC in release mode)
- Most commercial Lisp compilers

So, as I said, nothing you can write a real program in - except possibly for F#. The possibility of "some" C compilers supporting it doesn't mean
you can rely on the feature being present.

Are you serious........?

Uh, yeah? Aside from C (which doesn't always support tail call optimisation), and F#, none of these languages would seem to have any purpose on a desktop computer. I don't know of any way, in this day and age, to write application software (e.g. Notepad) for a 32 or 64-bit Windows 7 machine, in goddamn Haskell. I may be mistaken.

What about X Window managers (xmonad) ?
Or Operating systems (Home)?

Tim Sweeney from Valve, seems to have a different opinion from you
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt

As I understand it, languages like Scheme and Cojure exist solely to keep mathematicians happy. If you can't call API functions in it, what's the use of it?

Soundcloud, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook seem to think differently.

In Germany there are quite a few Clojure based projects both server
side and desktop based.

Some people are even crazy enough to sell PS games with Lisp
based engines (Crash Bandicoot/GOOL) or  Abuse in MS-DOS days.

--
Paulo