On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:45:19 +0200
Alex Rønne Petersen <a...@lycus.org> wrote:

> On 28-07-2012 09:36, Stuart wrote:
> > On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 21:59:33 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> >>
> >> - Scheme
> >> - Haskell
> >> - OCaml
> >> - F#
> >> - Erlang
> >> - Clojure
> >> - Some C and C++ compilers (gcc, Intel, MSVC in release mode)
> >> - Most commercial Lisp compilers
> >
> > So, as I said, nothing you can write a real program in - except
> > possibly for F#. The possibility of "some" C compilers supporting
> > it doesn't mean you can rely on the feature being present.
>
> Are you serious........?

I would tend to agree with him, unless you're being overly literal.

Obviously you *can* do real programs in C/C++, hell I've done it (and I
am doing it, much to my dismay) - but it's notoriously painful. As for
the rest, yea, sure, stuff *has* been written in them, but regardless,
most of them still just aren't *realistically* suitable for most
software development.

It's just like how somebody once write a high-precision Pi calculator
in MS Batch. They pulled it off, and it works, but that doesn't mean
Batch is realistically suitable as a numeric processing language.

Writing real software in, for example, Haskell is like calculating
high-precision Pi in Batch. It can be done, but it takes a masochist.