On 2012-08-02 09:29, Walter Bright wrote:

My experience in writing fast string based code that worked on UTF8 and
correctly handled multibyte characters was that they are very possible
and practical, and they are faster.

The lexer MUST MUST MUST be FAST FAST FAST. Or it will not be useful. If
it isn't fast, serious users will eschew it and will cook up their own.
You'll have a nice, pretty, useless toy of std.d.lexer.

I think there's some serious underestimation of how critical this is.

I do understand that the lexer needs to be insanely fast and it needs to operate on UTF-8 and not UTF-32 or anything else.

But what I still don't understand is how a UTF-8 range is going to be usable by other range based functions in Phobos.

--
/Jacob Carlborg