On Sunday, 12 August 2012 at 11:34:20 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
Am 12.08.2012 12:38, schrieb Walter Bright:
A better design would be to have pure be the default and impure would require annotation. The same for const/immutable. Unfortunately, it's too late for that now. My fault.

its never to late - put it back on the list for D 3 - please (and local variables are immutable by default - or something like that)

Agreed. If it is only a signature change then it might have been possible to accept such a change; as I'm sure it would simplify quite a bit of signatures and only complicate a few. Probably default signatures to try and include are: pure, and @safe (Others off hand I can't think of).

Make a list of all the issues/mistakes that can be done in D3 (be it ten or fifteen years from now); who knows, maybe the future is just around the corner if there's a big enough reason for it. The largest reason not to make big changes is so people don't get fed up and quit (especially while still trying to write library code); That and this is suppose to be the 'stable' D2 language right now with language changes having to be weighted heavily on.