Andrei Alexandrescu:

Well there's a tension here: good language design generally aims at providing few general features applicable to many use cases. Encoding particular use cases in the language is warranted by either disproportionate frequency in use or disproportionate difficulty in implementing them within the language. I don't think this particular feature scores very highly in either category.

It's a feature that I use about in every Python module/package I've written, and it's about as equally used in code you see in Python repositories. So it's a common need in Python. I'm asking for it for more than three years or so.

And regarding the implementation my "hack" means having a single compile-time constant (plus a switch to be used when you want partial compilation?). Better designs are possible, but it's a matter of how much you want to work for it.

Bye,
bearophile