On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:52:19PM +0200, so wrote:
> On Monday, 15 October 2012 at 21:29:11 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> >If you think forbidding templates/STL is crazy, wait till you hear
> >about the people who insist that const is evil and ban it from their
> >codebase.  (That was from before C++11, though, I don't know what
> >their reaction would be now that key parts of the language _require_
> >const. Maybe they've migrated to VB or something. :-P)

> I can somewhat understand not using STL as the library assumes you are
> using certain paradigms, but they sometimes doesn't do the job.  It is
> similar to phobos being designed GC in mind.
>
> But if you are not even using templates, why bother? For OOP? I would
> never move to C++ for OOP, since you are also losing something quite
> important in the process, interoperability with other languages. Most
> (maybe all) languages (i know) have some kind of interface to C. With
> C++ you lose that one too.
[...]

I dunno, maybe they like struct names being specifiable without the
struct keyword (I always find that awkward when switching back to C
after dealing with C++ code). :-P

It *is* a pretty crazy idea to prohibit STL, seeing as STL is what makes
writing container-related C++ code bearable. I have horrible memories of
the Bad Old Days when I must've reinvented linked lists at least 20
times, just because STL didn't exist in those days.

When templates first came out, I was elated that finally I didn't have
to implement Yet Another Linked List. Perhaps it took that kind of
experience to appreciate templates. :-) People who didn't have to suffer
through these kinds of limitations often don't appreciate what templates
offer. (And that's C++ templates, with all their warts, not even
speaking about D templates -- which are on a whole 'nother level.)

One reason that few people are aware there are programs running the internet is
that they never crash in any significant way: the free software underlying the
internet is reliable to the point of invisibility. -- Glyn Moody, from the
article "Giving it all away"