On Thursday, 18 October 2012 at 10:11:14 UTC, foobar wrote:
On Thursday, 18 October 2012 at 10:05:06 UTC, bearophile wrote:
The docs say:
http://dlang.org/lex.html

Hex strings allow string literals to be created using hex data. The hex data need not form valid UTF characters.<

This is especially a good reason to remove this feature as it breaks the principle of least surprise and I consider it a major bug, not a feature.

I expect D's strings which are by definition Unicode to _only_ ever allow _valid_ Unicode. It makes no sense what so ever to allow this nasty back-door. Other text encoding should be either stored and treated as binary data (ubyte[]) or better yet stored in their own types that will ensure those encodings' invariants.