Those two numbers are apples and oranges Howard, as I'm sure you
know. To assess efficiency, one must compare Winlink's spectrum
consumption with the percentage of *all* amateur communication
conveyed by Winlink. Does Winlink handle 3.8% of all amateur
communication around the world? Highly unlikely.

   73,

         Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Howard S. White"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Winlink now carries approaching 75% of all Ham message traffic and
yet only uses 3.8% of the spectrum.  The Winlink Development Team is
to be congratulated for inventing such a popular and efficient user
of the Spectrum.

> With exciting new developments such as SCAMP which uses low cost
sound cards instead of expensive TNC's  and the Channel Busy
Detector to prevent interference to other users, the WDT has shown
that they can not only be among the creative leaders of Ham Radio
but are also sensitive to the concerns of others

> Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
> "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
> Formerly "Awfully Extremely Six Sado Masochist"
> "Krazy Yankee Six Loves America"
> Website: www.ky6la.com
> Member of ARES Management Team for Digital Networks

Winlink:

>   "IMPORTANT ALL-USER UPDATE, March 5, 2005.
>
>   The Central Mail Server (CMBO) is being attacked by new virus's
from mail
>   address books that contain Winlink.org addresses. These
Winlink.org
>   addresses are attempting to put virus's back into the system. In
addition,
>   there are approved Internet email addresses, which are also
contained in
>   address books of infected computers that are making an attempt
to enter
>   the Winlink system. We are catching an average of 1,500 of these
attempts
>   daily. NO FUN!
>
>   Effective Tuesday, March 8, at 00:00 UTC, in order to protect,
you, the
>   user, as well as your email recipients, we are going to delete
ALL the
>   current entries in the Acceptance list, and start a new list.
To make

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/04/1029/, included in the
>   Report and Order on Access BPL, ET
>   Docket 04-37, the Commissioners wrote:
>
>   "We similarly do not find that Amateur Radio frequencies warrant
the
>   special protection afforded frequencies reserved for
international
>   aeronautical and maritime safety operations," the Commission
said. "While
>   we recognize that amateurs may on occasion assist in providing
emergency
>   communications," the FCC added. It described typical amateur
operations as
>   "routine communications and hobby activities."
>
>   The FCC view, and that of everyone EXCEPT Winink, is that
emergency communications are an
>   "occasional assist in providing emergency communications", and
nobody else wants the
>   majority of the frequencies dominated by the likes of Winlink
under the guise of it being
>   necessary for our health and welfare...
>
>   3.8% of HF ham radio spectrum is already available for Winlink
domination by their
>   less-than-1% of US hams, if they insist on doing so, and is more
than enough space to
>   devote to emergency communications. Leave the other 96% of the
HF spectrum for other PSK31,
>   RTTY contesting, award-chasing, CW, MFSK16, and phone free from
constant disruption by
>   unattended Winlink PMBO stations or Winlink client stations that
are under the automatic
>   control of Airmail.
>
>   73, Skip KH6TY

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/