My understanding is that SCS Pactor modems have the ability to
detect Pactor signals, but not SSB, CW, RTTY, PSK, MFSK, or SSTV
signals. While this capability might be exploited to allow multiple
Winlink PMBOs to share a single frequency, it would not be useful in
eliminating QRM to ongoing QSOs in modes other than Pactor.

Contesting stations are attended, not semi-automatic. They are thus
equipped with busy detectors: ears.

As several ops have pointed out, having busy detectors available
does not guarantee their use. I would like to believe that most hams
will do the right thing -- whether they be DXers, contesters, or
PMBO operators -- and respect ongoing QSOs. That means using your
head-mounted busy detectors, and keeping your semi-automatic station
operation software's busy detector enabled.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Waterman, k4cjx"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I said "as an example," however, you are correct about signal
> detection. SCAMP is where we are going to deploy it, but it may
also
> be deployed in Pactor before it is all over. It is there, just not
> used on the slave end. In my opinion, proper signal detection is
> something that should be used across the board, especailly by
> contesters..However, due to the nature of non-channelization in
> Amateur radio, I doubt if it will permeate to non-digital
protocols.
> Can you imagine the frustration of the guy on SSB not being able
> transmit because his signal detection is disabling is
transmissions?

> Steve, k4cjx
>

> --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Re: "From my perspective, as an example, opening a 3 KHz
bandwidth
> > in a receiver for a 50 Hz signal, and then complaining about
> agacent
> > signal interference is not proper management, however, if the
band
> > is segmented properly, that won't be an issue."
> >
> > Steve, you seem to be implying that QRM to PSK QSOs from semi-
> > automatic operation is largely the fault of PSK operators using
> > panoramic software. The problem I and others have experienced is
> > semi-automatic station QRMing the PSK frequency I'm currently
> using,
> > not an adjacent frequency; each time this has happened to me, my
> SCS
> > modem revealed the QRMing signal to be a Winlink PMBO running
> Pactor.
> >
> > This is no surprise. The hidden transmitter problem is well
> > understood; protocols like Pactor that lack busy detectors
prevent
> > station automation software like Winlink from inadvertenty
QRMing
> > ongoing QSOs. Without busy detectors, semi-automatic operation
will
> > QRM QSOs in whatever signals with which it shares spectrum.
That's
> > why Rick KN6KB is engineering busy detectors into SCAMP.
> >
> > What's a surprise is your implying that the blame lies
elsewhere,
> > rather than acknowledging the problem and the efforts underway
> > elminate it.
> >
> >    73,
> >
> >        Dave, AA6YQ
> >

> > --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Waterman, k4cjx"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Rick,
> > >
> > > I appreciate your comments, however, look at what is being
said:

> > > 1. The "Winlink wants your frequencies" campaign, all whopping
45
> > > stations, Worldwide? Absurd..Simply a tactic to influence the
> ARRL
> > > BOD.
> > >
> > > 2. Recently, I wrote a simple and routine message letting
users
> > know
> > > that they must re-establish their email recipients in order to
> > keep
> > > the hits on the server down. No big deal. Next thing I know,
the
> > same
> > > few start rumors about Winlink being infested with SPAM and
> > virus's.
> > >
> > > This is not honest and useful matters for conversation. It
also
> > preys
> > > on those who do not know any better.  It is a campaign waged
> > against
> > > a target that has been moving successfully forward, and
without
> > > incident, until someone got their big ego bashed when they
were
> > > outvoted on the now two year old, long forgotten digital
> > committee.
> > >
> > > the entire matter has been blown out of perportion. You would
> > think
> > > that we control all that takes place with respect to band
> > planning,
> > > and have more influence than others. Obviously, this is false
and
> > > those who want whatever they favor are shooting at the wrong
> > target.
> > > Winlink prefers not to automatically forward on HF bands. This
> > does
> > > not stop others. Winlink uses the Internet, who doesn't? And,
> > > regardless of any reasonable conversation or discussion, the
> > vendetta
> > > continues. So why bother. It is not arrogance, it is numbness.
> > >
> > > With all that Amateur radio must contend with today, such
> conflict
> > > only weakens the fraternity.
> > >
> > > As we all know, with proper allocation, there is room for any
> > > protocol as long as it is managed properly. From my
perspective,
> > as
> > > an example, opening a 3 KHz bandwidth in a receiver for a 50
Hz
> > > signal, and then complaining about agacent signal interference
is
> > not
> > > proper management, however, if the band is segmented properly,
> > that
> > > won't be an issue. But, that is just my perspective. Others
may
> > think
> > > that opening their receiving bandwidth for a 50 Mhz signal is
> > > appropriate. What is so, so what. No one has a hold on any of
> > this,
> > > and blame is not the answer for resolution.
> > >

> > > Steve, k4cjx
> > >

> > > --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Williams"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > more
> > of
> > > these
> > hear
> > > this but

> > > agency's e-mail
> > connection
> > > or mail
> opposed
> > > that
> can
> > for
> > would
> > > need to be
> > would
> > > likely be
AGW
> > > connection
> > > standard
> > packet
> > > radio to

> > simple as
> > is a
> > > no
> > > complicated and,
> > only
> > > had a
> that
> > if
> > > they had
> > would
> > > be very
> > > yesterday) can go
> of
> > > whether the
> but
> > > they are
> > > servers so it
> > portion
> > > of WL2K
> > > system that
> > > attachments,
> > WL2K.

> > they
> > > finalize
> > version
> > > of WiMax
> 2.4
> > > GHz I MBPS
> > you
> > > need
> > paths
> > > (5
> > mile
> > > away:(
> > > highway, I was
> > 20
> > > feet up
> > so
> > > check out

> > test
> > > team that
> Also,
> > on-
> > > going
> > good
> > db
> > > S/N
> > difficult
> > > to reach
> 6
> > db
> > > per

> > speeds
> > > of
SCS
> > > modem which
> > speeds.
> > > protocols on
> individual
> > > decide

> > currently
> > > made up
> would
> > be
> > > ideal if
> > without
> > > attacking
> > > believe in and
> > have
> > > done

> > > they had a
> > friends
> > > and
> > > discussion when
> with
> > > them, even
> > challenge,
> > > since if
> > > They choose
> > very
> > them
> > > up on
> > past
> > > week.
> people
> > > from their
> > > unfortunate

WL2K
> > > as "the
> > > deal, with
> is
> > > nothing
> > you
> > > are
> > of
> > > WL2K that
uncomfortable
> > with
> > > this

> > and
> > > abuse of
> believe
> > > that any
> > hams
> > > in our
> > > right
> > > someone to
> > > happen? It is
> > > reflection on a
> > not
> > > fail.
> > never
> > > be so

> > WL2K
> > > group
> > > taken away
> > will
> > > be hearing

> > > along for a
> > LinLink
> > > group
> > they
> > > want to
> > as
> > > an open

> > solution?
> > > I doubt

> > > because our
> > > countries do
> > > elsewhere.

> > amateur
> > > radio
> > that
> > > could
> > > Especially if

> > the
> > > one thing
> > the
> > > software
> > developing
> > > the WL2K.

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/