I had opted not to participate in this thread so far,
but it seems once again that the hidden station case
is not seen, and it is very common on HF, even DXers
know about it to their frustration....

Anyone that does not hear any other station may
trigger a Winlink PMBO response. This may respond to
the request, initiating QRM to anyone close to the
frequency and with good propagation to the Winlink
station site.

The QRMed station will not hear the request either and
the PMBO may seem to come out of the blue.

With an "activity detector", the PMBO might never
respond...a chicken and egg situation, indeed.

Segregating mutually such incompatible activities on
different frequencies seems to be the only reasonably
functional solution.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

--- Dave Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am dissapointed to see you revert to "the root
> cause of the QRM is
> PSK operators opening their receivers to 3 kHz".
> This is factually
> incorrect, as we have discussed here many times. The
> root cause is
> semi-automatic stations without busy detectors, such
> as  Winlink
> PMBOs running Pactor. When you so transparently
> attempt to shift the
> blame, you create a very negative impression. Given
> the effort to
> add busy detectors to SCAMP, I do not understand
> why, from a public
> relations perspective, you continue to snatch defeat
> from the jaws
> of victory.
>
> Running WinLink PMBOs on SCAMP with active busy
> detectors should, in
> my view, allow activity on any frequency available
> to signals of
> SCAMP's bandwidth. The same should be true for any
> other next-
> generation semi-automatic or automatic protocol.
> Protocols like
> Pactor or Packet being used in semi-automatic or
> automatic operation
> should be constrained to sub-bands to limit the QRM
> they impose on
> others. This is the "win-win" you should be seeking:
> WinLink gains
> access to the spectrum it needs, and the rest of the
> amateur
> community is free of QRM from Winlink PMBOs, from
> automatic packet
> stations, and from all other "hidden transmitter"
> scenarios.
>
> Requiring busy detectors for attended operation
> makes no sense,
> Steve. As Rick KV9U pointed out, any SSB, RTTY, CW,
> or PSK operator
> who knowingly calls over existing QSOs would simply
> disable the busy
> detector. Most transceivers lack the CPU and DSP
> horsepower required
> to implement busy detectors. As for digital
> protocols that sound
> like QRN, it seems to me that the onus is on the
> designers of these
> protocols to make them audible to other spectrum
> users;
> transmitting "QRL" in CW every 30 seconds would be
> one way to do
> this without sacrificing appreciable throughput.
>
> I did not suggest that you "convince the world to
> use Winlink 2000";
> I suggested that you convince the world that Winlink
> will be a good
> citizen on the amateur bands, and provided explicit
> advice on how to
> do so. None of what I suggested requires any more
> software
> development or network administration than you are
> already
> undertaking.
>
>    73,
>
>        Dave, AA6YQ

> [...]