--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "ab2kt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As the Linux software has developed, and the possibility of moving
> away from Windows has progressed, a surprising number of
technically
> super-competent hams have started coming out of the woodwork to
pound
> on the code. The unifying theme has been an aversion to Microsoft
and
> Windows.

I've just never understood this.  Linux is a decent OS, and the fact
that it's (ostensibly) free is wonderful.  But Windows is... what...
a couple hundred buck OS (far less if it came to you via a bulk
purchase agreement), and while it's true that Microsoft wants to
take over the world, so do the Red Hats and Mandrakes of the Linux
universe.  But, technically speaking, Windows is a reasonably solid
OS as well.  Given that both Linux, Windows, the Mac OS, and every
other contemporary OS out there these days has literally thousands
of bugs, I wouldn't try to get into which OS is "better" than
another one, but my experience is that all of these OSes can be
perfectly usable, productive, and reasonably programmer friendly.

> The fact that so much ham software is joined at the hip to
> Redmond seems to have been a real impediment to quite a few folks
> otherwise capable of making significant contributions.

To some degree it's just "success breeds success" -- there are more
developers for Windows, so there are better tools out there for
programmers, which attracts more programmers, blah, blah.  In
particular, Visual Basic was something of a "killer app" for Windows
development -- I've yet to see anything close to it for fast, easy
development on Linux.  And gcc coupled with gdb is a joke compared
to Visual Studio!

(I'm not much of a Linux developer at present, but as far as I can
tell, some of the best Linux IDEs available are commercial ones.
Hmm...)

> Also, speaking only for myself, I can say that the public
> contentiousness surrounding the HF email issue is a real negative.

Yes, it is.  I do find it interesting that "radio with Internet e-
mail" seems to be the "breaking point" for so many people... I
suspect that many of them started getting nervous decades ago with
autopatches, their blood pressure measurably increased with packet
mail, and they really started losing it once IRLP caught on... but
WinLink seems to be the straw that broke their backs.

> In any case, the notion that the "open source developers" are a
> distinct group from the "closed source developers" is laughable.
> They're the same people.

Yes they are.

> And, I have to say, the people who work both
> sides of that fence tend to be a good bit more punctilious about
> originality, fairness, and more specific IP issues, than those who
> pursue their work behind closed doors.

It's not just software houses.  I've spent this week down at IMS in
Long Beach, Florida and in the proceedings there's a little article
lamenting the fact that there are far fewer papers from industry
with any meat in them, and even a lot of the university papers end
up being somewhat "censored" due to having been funded by private
interests.

What is it they're teaching all those business school kids these
days anyway?  "You too can be Bill Gates?"  (forget about the fact
that he had enough business genius he just up and quite engineering
school, much less never having gone to business school in the first
place...)

---Joel

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/