The remote user cannot determine that the frequency is clear at the
PMBO's QTH. The frequency could be clear at the remote user's QTH,
but busy at the PMBO's QTH. When the remote user initiates a
connection, the PMBO QRMs an ongoing QSO.

Have you never responded to a CQ, only to have someone else send
QRL! because you didn't listen long enough to verify that the
frequency was clear on your end? In CW or phone, communication with
a station that unintentionally QRMs an ongoing QSO is
straightforward, and quickly eliminates the QRM.

But when an ongoing PSK or RTTY QSO is QRM'd by a Pactor station,
the probability that the QRM'd station can even decode the QRMing
signal is low. If the QRM'd station does have a Pactor modem to fire
up, all the operator can do it determine the Pactor station's
callsign; there's no way to convey QRL!

     73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM