Paul,
Thanks for the encouragement and advice.  I had been debating about
whether Cygwin or Msys would be a better development platform for
porting linux applications.  I have also been reading your ARQ
protocol proposal from the pskmail website, and look forward to being
able to try it out.

In the mean time, I will be working on an idea Leigh gave me
concerning psk63srv as a backend for pskmail, maybe using a program in
the background to write and read files for pskmail, and telnet the
information to/from port 3131. I had previously tried using the stock
psk31srv, and found that you needed to  format your input like an
ax.25 UI packet (well, at at least include a ">:" at the start of the
text). After thinking about it, you could probably append "PSMAIL0>:"
to the beginning of a ARQ frame, and send it to psk63srv.  The pskmail
program on the receiver end should ignore everyting before the initial
<SOH>, and APRS users would get a head-up that this was not a position
report (station ID being handled in the ARQ frame).  Will probably be
able to work on this more after I go off backshift in a few weeks.

73, KC0HOS - Jim

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM