On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:05, Dr. Howard S. White wrote:
> Kevin:
>

> For Example:
>
> To develop a new Digital Communications Mechanism... one has to go through
> all sorts of regulatory hoops.. such as publishing protocols before you
> actually use it on the air... the rest of the world can just work on new
> protocols without such restrictions.. which is why most new Digital Modes
> originate, are tested and developed outside of the USA.. and only when they
> are mature enough to be published can they be used in the USA...

Oh my gosh!!!! You have to wait till a protocol is a finished product to
publish it? I guess this is also a FCC rule?

Since when?

ROFL!!!!

I would also caution anyone reading claims that regulation paradigms are the
reason that the US is not leading in the development of new protocols is
likely seeing what many would call a very bigoted attitude about the
capabilities of amateurs outside the US to contribute to the advancement of
the radio art. These protocols would have been developed outside the US
regardless of the regulation paradigm in effect in the US at the time.

Certainly the adoption of protocols like Olivia has nothing to do with the
current regulation paradigm which we operate under.

The HF Packet forwarding network has adopted the use of Q15X25 and is using it
regularly. Guess who the author was?

We need to all be careful of arguments meant only to appeal to the emotions.

Take SCAMP for instance. Was that protocol a finished product before it was
published and worked on over the air? Who was the main developer?

tim ab0wr

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html