From: KV9U
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] NTS and traffic handling and digital

Hi John,

Until recently, I did not even think of going much above 14.095 or so. I
have heard a number of Olivia stations above 14.100 this weekend. It may
be where I live (north midwest U.S.), but there really are not that many
digital signals on the bands (compared to phone and CW anyway). There
are almost always some 14.070 PSK stations and then open frequencies
from there to 14.100 except for Pactor and RTTY. Sometimes a few "other"
modes like Olivia, MFSK16.

Even though you can legally do it, I personally do not think it is right
to operate in the areas that are intended for automatic operation since
they are so small as it is. I used to be supportive of semi-automatic
operation outside of that automatic area, but I no longer support that
due to the inability of the robot stations to hear a busy channel. I
would only support it if the robot station had busy detect software.
This has been proven to be possible with my experiences when beta
testing the SCAMP mode, so we know it can be done.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org