With the current state of the art, as exemplified by the beta testing of
SCAMP, it is completely proven that monitoring of the channel can be
done by machine, in order to prevent transmission on a busy channel. It
doesn't even scan anything as it is able to detect any modulation in the
pass band. Even a continuous carrier, even if very weak will block
transmission unless the human operator intervenes. Same with other
modulation types, including voice.

In some cases the detected "signal" can be an internal birdie, some odd
spurs, etc. that are not a legitimate signal. The software can be
adjusted for different settings to trigger only if the signals are below
a certain point.

There has to be the ability of the operator to make some adjustments or
you might never be able to transmit. That was my experience during the
beta testing. You have to take into consideration those signals that may
trigger the detector if you have a wider passband and a nearby signal is
affecting the software even though it is outside your signal width.
Better filters will help of course but not everyone has them.

I am disappointed that the ARRL did not recommend automatic detection to
the requirements for both automatic and semi-automatic stations.