--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think (and that alone surprises a few) that perhaps a "convention"
> rather than a "standard" is at question. I tend to use various
> combinations based on conditions in addition to those mentioned (often
> 4/500 and 8/250). I understand the difficulty of discerning what mode is
> in use, especially by ear alone if the CQ is of short duration. Multipsk
> (perhaps others?) can make that abit easier with the Hell CMT display of
> the mode in the video ID; although I recognize a few downsides here as
> well....
>
> Be well,
>
> Bill

Bill

I think you're right.  I mostly work 8/500 or 32/1000 now exclusively
now days and find most are figuring it out. By the way, you can spot
16 tone 500 Hz mode on the waterfall as at least on my display and
speed settings. 16 tone looks more like descrete tones, 8 tone looks
more filled in.

I have found going to 16 tone does not buy much link margin, and is
just too darn slow. Never tired 4 or 8 250 though.

So call it a convention, or standard or what ever, what works works.

73
Steve