--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I still have not understood what P2 and P3 have that
> is all that special and allows them to run as fast
> as they do (not to mention they are also ARQ modes).
> If we had non ARQ modes with similar modulation, why
> would not that run at a similar rate of transmission
> even if you did not adjust for adaptive speeds.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

Block coding, to recover errors without
retransmission, interleaving, to convert block losses
into single bit losses (and make error recovery
possible), FEC, in the form of convolutional encoding
with Viterbi (soft) with  maximum likelyhood decoding.
Compression, whenever applicable, reduces the data
volume to be sent, and so, content to be mistaken...

Of course, multicarrier modulation, to allow high data
speeds with low signalling rates, to fight
multipath...
of course, it requires BANDWIDTH...

It is not a "single trick", but a boxful of them...

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com