--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree completely, Jose.
>
> However, all these things can (and often are done)
> with other modes that
> do not run as fast. The bandwidths are no
> differerent than the wider
> sound card modes at either 500 Hz for Pactor 2 or
> closer to a voice
> bandwidth such as Pactor 3 uses. And the Pactor
> modes don't use
> particulary unusual modulation schemes either and
> 100 or 200 baud rates,
> which while a bit fast for certain kinds of
> conditions, seems to work
> better than one would expect.
>
> So what are we doing wrong with existing sound card
> modes?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

Well, about what´s being done the wrong way, I think
I better pass it to the codesmiths. I am not
completely clear about how the soundcard modes do it,
but the success if Pactor is wrapping all those tricks
together.

Some of the modes use Reed Solomon codes, others use
BCH, but I am not sure if any of them uses
convolutional encoding with Viterbi decoding.

One important point. If my memory does not betray me,
I think Pactor uses DPSK, which does better passing by
the ionosphere. Seems to be easier to take account of
the phase jumps than of the absolute phase.

I used at times packet at 1200 baud on 28, 21 and 14
MHz, and it worked in order of decreasing success on
the lower frequencies....but it managed to work on
14MHz quite well at times. Multipath is the deciding
factor in the link. If just one path is open, it may
work, if there is multipath, better hold back to lower
speeds.

What surprises me (and I have never been able to test
it personally) is that in Indonesia, some hams have
used 1200 baud DPSK satellite modes succesfully on 40
meters. Once again, DPSK does the trick.

It would be interesting to read about what and why the
programmers have chosen their options while creating
new sound card modes.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com