Hi Paul,

The radio control in PC-ALE at present is planned to be expanded upon
in the future based I work that I have done with MARS-ALE. Charles
and I have discussed the approach to be taken, when however it will
happen is unknown at this time.

In many but not all respects, the support for radio control within
PC-ALE is inherent within MARS-ALE, however the number of make/model
radios directly supported and how they are supported does differ,
again its planned to integrate a good deal of this into PC-ALE.

I do not have a comprehensive list for PC-ALE, that delineates all
the support for make/models that it provides and the family tree and
differences, I do however for MARS-ALE and that can be found as a
zipped MS-Word file at:

http://www.n2ckh.com/MARS_ALE_FORUM/ALE102BRHUGAA.zip

WRT PC-ALE, at this time the best results can only be achieved using
ICOM radios that disable the transmit band pass filter relays in
SPLIT VFO operation, this is mostly achieved using the GENERIC ICOM
interface for radio selection with PC-ALE. I state this WRT
multi-channel Scanning operation, for single channel operation its
moot. However, when Scanning (and multi-channel Sounding which is not
allowed under the current Part 97) even at a 1 ch/sec scan rate, you
could possibly achieve 86,400 frequency changes within a 24 hour
period, this would of course exercise a number of those BPF relays a
number of times (to say the least) predicated on your GROUP Channel
configuration. In MARS/SHARES operations, stations that do not have a
QS/S (MARS-ALE software feature that uses SPLIT VFO and other BPF
bypassing techniques) compliant radio, often just scan within their
radio's break points for selection of BPF's, thus they may scan
4-6Mhz or 10-19Mhz or whatever so that those relays are not being
overly exercised. For those with radios that do support QS/S its not
an issue as the relays are only exercise when it comes time to
transmit. At present with PC-ALE, this QS/S affect can only be
achieved with those ICOM radios that it works with and that is not
all models either, just like not all ICOM models support CAT PTT.

As to Ten-Tec radios, which I assume you have as you mention it a
bit, as far as I have been able to determine none of them support
QS/S. I have coded for a number of them in MARS-ALE that support full
2-30Mhz operation, for example, the ORION which does not, has been
ignored. I had a Jupiter here on loan for which I used for its native
mode, more Pegasus coding and RX-350 coding, it makes one heck of a
racket during scanning, too bad as it handles a full 5 ch/sec scan
rate quite well at its 57,600 baud operation.

Sincerely,

/s/ Steve, N2CKH/AAR2EY
www.n2ckh.com