Howard is correct and is the main reason that very few use Pactor modes
other than to connect to BBS systems (Winlink and other spin offs), and
Winlink 2000 PMBO stations. Having only one company selling the only
products where P2 and P3 are available, insures low adoption and high
cost due to lack of competition. I wish it was not this way, but that is
what happened from a historical perspective.

The market is just not large enough to attract competition. Along a
similar pattern, as packet radio declined, the old companies declined as
well. Now we have  a few "new" companies that do sell packet radio
solutions for VHF/UHF as there is no need to develop the digital
modulation scheme since it has been unchanged for several decades and is
completely open.

But amateur radio HF digital ARQ mode development has been at a
standstill for over a decade now. As we all know it only takes one
brilliant programmer, who has an interest in ARQ modes to change everything.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>NO Sir.........The AEA is a verrrry old AEA Multimode Terminal Unit
>that can handle PACTOR I only insofar as PACTOR is concerned.
>
>I got mine in 1991, in California.
>
>Howard W6IDS
>Richmond, IN

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org