If the ARRL proposal is accepted, then the main change would be that the
wide data modes would have to all move up above 14.100 at first. The
impression that I got from reading Dave Sumner's comments was that they
would like to see a bandplan where the digital voice would be segregated
from analog voice. Right now, digital voice can be anyplace in the voice
portion of the band. Same with SSTV whether analog or digital. The
bizarre (and to me, intolerable) situation is that "data" can not be
used in the phone area even though you would not be able to tell any
difference when listening with your ear between digital voice and
digital data. This means that those of us who want to be able to switch
between voice and data on the same frequency can not do so except on the
160 meter band. We would have to tie up two separate frequencies in
different parts of the band. The ability to talk to someone with a voice
transmission and then experiment with digital data seems so useful, not
to mention the practical use for emergency communications.

The new proposal does not seem to offer any change that would alleviate
this situation except that you could switch between digital voice and
digital data. While it is  possible that some radio amateurs would
simply ignore any bandplan recommendations and only stay legal under the
FCC rules, I don't personally feel very comfortable with that.

Also, the new proposal will compress the wide band digital modes into
much smaller areas than they are now. In many ways, I find the proposals
more restricting than what we have now, even though the claim has been
that it will advance the radio art. What it mostly seems to do is allow
wide BW stations in automatic (includes semi automatic) operation to
operate anyplace in the wide BW area. Right now they are tightly
restricted to only a few KHz on most bands.

Under the new proposal, wide bandwidth semi-automatic operations may
find it much more difficult to operate, and if they are not careful,
could cause a groundswell of even more opposition to their QRMing. We
can only expect more, not less, wide BW digital operations as these
technologies are invented.

It is interesting that the ARRL has not proposed that any HF station, in
automatic operation (that includes "semi" automatic as well) must be
operated in a manner that detects a busy frequency and prohibits the
robot from transmitting on such a channel even though it is been
completely practical to implement under software control.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM