Craig,

Based on your comments, you stated that:

"PactorIII/WinLink is a commercial for profit enterprise that
happens to use amateur frequencies under current rules,..."

I was assuming you included the Winlink 2000 system. Of course Winlink (older
system that Winlink 2000 developers would like to see shut down) is a strictly
RF ham radio messaging system and Winlink 2000 is the newer internet messaging
system that uses the minimum amount of amateur radio possible to conserve on
the very limited frequencies in the ham bands.

SCS has nothing to do with Winlink/Winlink 2000 or the other messaging systems
that are being developed. It is a modem company in Germany. At this time there
is nothing that can compete with these modems unless you go to very expensive
Mil Spec equipment for considerably more money.

It is no different than HAL,  Kantronics or Time Wave (AEA) with their modems.
No one gives them away for free. Even sound cards and computers are not given
away for free. I can not operate Pactor or Clover II because I have decided not
to purchase this kind of equipment anymore. (I did have HAL, Kantronics, AEA,
etc. a decade or two ago). While I agree with you that proprietary modes should
not be used on amateur radio, I don't consider Winlink  or Winlink 2000,
PSKmail, JNOS2, etc. to be commercial enterprises operating for profit. They
are actually mode neutral and could work with any number of modes depending on
the skill of the programmer.

In order to be legal here in the U.S. ham bands, the mode used must have a
public technical description. The FCC has determined that if this is done on a
site such as the ARRL's, that is adequate to comply with the rule:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/PACTOR-III.html

Some of these modes have been documented for years and would include other
modes such as the complex waveform of Clover II.

The problem is that few of these modes can be produced or decoded using a
computer and sound card. At least one software developer has indicated that you
would need at least a magnitude of computational power to equal the dedicated
processor in the SCS product. Even Pactor I, which has been around for nearly
20 years, does not work well on a computer, even on Linux OS due to timing
issues.

The SCAMP mode, which works very well under good signal conditions, gets around
much of the limitations of current computational power, but due to the choice
of mode, with a fairly high baud rate, was not able to handle moderate to weak
signals. There are almost no programmers with the ability and desire to write
this kind of software and so we have limited ARQ modes via sound card. There is
PAX and PAX2 on Windows OS and of course PSKmail on Linux OS but they are
relatively slow and can not compete with even Pactor 2, much less Pactor 3.

All it would take would be for the ARRL to insist that good amateur practice
would require that all automatic (and semi-automatic modes) have busy channel
detection, and that would move the companies that sell these modems to develop
such software or hardware for their system. We already know it works well since
this was built into the SCAMP mode even though there were those who said it was
not possible to do.

I might suggest that instead of being sick about all this, it might be more
useful to promote solutions. There are some things we can not fix, but there
are those things that a concerted effort can fix. In my view, this is one of
the things that can be fixed.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM