On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:12:26 -0700, list email filter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>To answer your 706 specific question, all that is needed is a properly
>connected serial (rs-232 or usb) to ttl interface that connects from
>your computer (rs-232 or usb) to your radio (ttl) to do radio control.
>My guess is that the vast majority of Icom radio's in digital service
>are being controlled by computer, and very few are actually using the
>'Icom CT-17 CI-V' interface.

that is why I cancelled the purchase of a CT-17 after doing a lot of googling.
and that is why I called ICOM Tech Spt in Oregon and they verified that all I
needed was an aftermarket cable to connect the radio's remote port to a usb
port on the pc.  and that is IT !!!

so, now I need to go to ebay and buy the cable and then to download some
software.

thanks again
73/chas
--