Rick,

My explanation was for sinusoids not rectangular waves, our radios transmit
sinusoids.  You are correct about rectangular waves they would have a crest
factor of 1 in linear terms or voltage terms, and 0B in non-linear or power
terms.  Yes MT63 has a crest factor of 13dB.  It is very high.

Lets deified a few power terms.

Average or mean power is what you get when you multiply RMS voltage and current
Peak Instantaneous power or peak power is what you get when you multiply
peak instantaneous voltage and current.
Peak Envelope power or PEP is what you get when you average the peak power
over one RF cycle.
Crest Factor is normally given in terms of voltage and is equal to the peak
amplitude of a waveform divided by the RMS value.   In terms of power this
is the 10log(peak power/average power).  The relationship between peak
power and PEP in a sinusoid is 3 dB.  This is very easy to prove.  The
relationship between peak voltage and RMS voltage is the square root of
2.  20 log of the square root of 2 is 3dB.

Lets use a more complicated example.  Lets say we generate a sinusoid from
two equal amplitude tones.  A two tone test.  On an oscilloscope we observe
that the peak voltage is 1 voltage unit for each tone which makes the peak
power 1 power unit for each tone.  The peak voltage of the envelope is 2
voltage units , so the peak power is 4 power units for the envelope.  Each
tone's RMS voltage is 1/square root of 2 or approximately .707 voltage
units.  The average power is the RMS voltage squared or .5 units.  The
total average power of the two tones is .5 + .5 or 1 unit.  When using N
tones to produce an envelope, PEP to average power ratio is 1/N.  In this
case it is .5, which means that the PEP is 2 units.

Here are the relationships

Peak power of the envelope = 4
PEP of the envelope = 2
Average power of the envelope = 1.

PEP to average ratio = 3dB
Peak to average ratio = 6 dB
Difference = 3 dB

This same example can be worked with any number of tones.

Patrick used two programs if I remember correctly to calculate the peak and
mean power for the various modes listed in the
documentation for Multipsk.  The two programs were Cool Edit Pro and
Sox.  In Cool Edit Pro the peak value given in the statistics is PEP.  What
Patrick is giving you is the PEP to average ratio.  I have proven this in
Cool Edit Pro using the 2 tone example above.

73,

Mark N5RFX